Optimal competition calendar planning at all stages is critical to athlete development. At certain stages, developing the physical capacities take precedence over competition. At later stages, the ability to compete well becomes the focus.
Stages & recommended ratios:
- Active Start - No specific ratios - all activity based on developing physical literacy and child's passion to play and participate
- FUNdamentals - All activities FUN-based including some structured competition
- Learn to Train - 70% training to 30% competition-specific training and actual competition
- Train to Train - 60% training to 40% competition-specific training and actual competition
- Train to Compete - 40% training to 60% competition-specific training and actual competition
- Train to Win - 25% training to 75% competition-specific training and actual competition
- Active for Life - Based on the individual's desire
To read the entire Canadian Sport for Life - Long-Term Athlete Development 2.1 resource paper, click here.
- Recreation Professionals
- Health Practitioners
- Athletes with Disabilities
- Women and Girls